Can I Call The Crows Daddy

Sitting in the corn field on a cool fall morning with my dad, watching him call in crows and shooting them.  As we sat there he explained that if we didn't shoot them they would eat the corn before we could it all gathered in.  I was about five and he would sometimes let me call them in for him.  I can remember sitting so close to him that I could feel him breath. It was so warm sitting next to him. I felt protected from the world. We would stay out and shoot til about mid morning then we would go back to the house.  Sometimes daddy would then go and work with some of the other men gathering their corn and mama would work on our field.  We worked on the half with the man who owned the land.  What that meant in those days was he got half of everything that we grew.  I remember watching mama pull the corn off the stalk and throw it in piles on the ground. I can close my eyes and see the piles across the field and they looked like they all had the same amount in them.  She would spend one day pulling the corn and then the next day she would take the mule and wagon and load our share on the wagon.  I was to little to go to school and she would sit me on the wagon and give the the reins and she would walk along and throw the corn in the wagon.  She and that mule had me tricked!  I thought I was driving the wagon, but thinking back, mama would make a clicking sound with her mouth and the mule would go forward and mama would say whoa when she was ready to stop.  Could we go back to those days?  What memories are you making with your children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution