Front Porch Stories is a place where I go to talk about things from current events to stories from my past. I hope you stop by and read a few.
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Canning Time
I was sitting on the porch today thinking about how close it's getting to garden planting time. I can remember the big gardens that we planted when I was a kid. Mama always canned everything she could get her hands on. She worked so hard. They were farmers so we had to grow what we ate. When things started to come in all the prep work was done on the porch. Everybody had to help get the veggies ready for the pot. I was to little to have a knife so I got to do what my sister said was easy stuff. I broke green beans, shelled peas ya know the FUN stuff. One summer we had worked really hard a mama was so proud of all that we had put up. My brother and his wife came and gave mama and daddy the poor pitiful me story and left with a trunk full of our hard work. They would have given any of us the last penny in their pocket, gone hungry themselves to make sure that we wouldn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hunting Season....Use Caution
When I got up this morning there was a little chill in the air when I let the dog out. As I stood there I thought about all the cool mornin...
-
I gave it my best shot, but the powers that be know more about my needs and future than I. Therefore I am still working at the plant and do...
-
Making jelly is a time consuming process! You first have to pick your fruit, then prepare it depending on if you are making jelly or jam. ...
-
Every time I work out in the yard it make me think of my mom. She loved flowers and working outside. She taught us a lot about planting shr...
No comments:
Post a Comment