Chickens

I can remember when I was a little girl, we always had chickens. Chickens who aren't raised in a heated chicken house, won't normally lay eggs during the winter. When spring and warm weather would come, and the hens started laying eggs my Mom always put back a setting of eggs. When a hen would start sitting on a nest all day, we would put all the eggs mama had saved under the hen. Twenty-one days later there are little baby chickens!! Even when I was a kid, I enjoyed watching the hen scratch around for bugs. When she would find some she would cluck and call the babies and they were such fun to watch. As the little ones grew up they would get what mama called fryer size! That meant ready to eat!!! Daddy would say he wanted chicken for breakfast and he and I would go to the chicken pen. We would look at each one and see which one was just the right size for eating. It was a breakfast fit for a king! Mama would fry the chicken, make gravy and biscuits, and sometimes we would have a ripe tomato, yum yum. I can almost smell the chicken frying just thinking about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy