Squealer

Squealer, was a pig. I'm sure you know the Charlotte's Web Story. Well this is kinda like that, but a real little pig, and a real little girl. As I've said before we were share croppers when I was young. When we lived on this particular farm, not only did daddy work the fields, but we took care of some cattle and hogs. The weather was cold and daddy and the other man was at the barn because there was a litter of piglets being born. I begged daddy to let me go too. There was one that was way too little and they were going to kill it! They didn't think it would make it. I begged daddy to let me keep it, I made all kind of promises to take care of it, his friend said, ahh Less, it won't hurt anything, let her keep it. I though I had a treasure! Mama helped me fix a little box and we hung a light bulb over the box to keep him warm. We feed him and he grew and grew. He thought he was a dog, he followed me everywhere! Then daddy said he had to stay in a pen at the barn. He cried! He would squeal every time he heard the door to the house open. He would squeal when we got on the school bus, and when we got home. I would go out and take a corn cob and scratch his back and pet him. He turned out to be the biggest one of the bunch. A little TLC!! Then one fall, my dad said he wanted to talk to me about Squealer. He explained that it would be a big help to him if I would let him sell Squealer. You see school was getting ready to start and both my sister and I would need new shoes and stuff for school. He said, "it was up to me, I didn't have to". So I gave it all the thought that an eight year old could muster. I loved my daddy and if selling Squealer would help him get us in school then that's what we would do. My little runt brought enough to get shoes, books and some cloth for both my sister and I to have a new dress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy