Awesome Jelly

Oh my goodness!! The muscadine jelly turned out great!!  When you pick muscadines, most of the time you pick them up off the ground.  Wild muscadine vines grow up in the trees and most of the time you can't reach them from the ground, so you pick up the ones that have fallen.  You need a gallon of muscadines to make a batch of jelly so it takes a while to pick up that many.  The whole time I was picking them up I was thinking about mama and all the muscadines that we had pick up as I was growing up.  Back then if you had food to eat you grew it, traded for it or gathered it from the land. She canned and jellied all summer long.  As long as I can remember I was mama's helper.  Last summer was the first time I ever made jelly without my mama.  It didn't turn out to well but I think it was because I cried the whole time I was making it. I couldn't help myself, she wasn't just my mom, she was my best friend and I miss her.  The only thing that would make my this years jelly any better would be a pan of her homemade biscuits, and her laughing at me for getting so sentimental.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy