Well Water

Can you remember drawing water from a well?  I can!  Most of the wells we had were on the back porch.  There would be a shelf right next to it.  On that shelf would be a big bucket with a dipper for drinking water and there would be a wash pan and a bar of soap for cleaning up.  A towel would hang on a nail for drying your hands and face.  By the time I came along Mama had an electric washing machine that had wringers on the top for getting the water out of the clothes.  First you had to draw the water from the well and fill up the machine and the rinse tubs.  If you wanted to wash in hot water there would be a big wash pot with a fire under it to heat the water.  That was also how you got the water to water your animals unless you lived near a creek.  I remember every time I went to our neighbors house I would draw water for her and it was the best and the coldest water I had ever drank.  Can you imagine what kids would do now if they had to draw water and use an out house?  Can you imagine them drawing water to wash clothes by hand?  I believe that it would be hard for us to turn back the hands of time that far, but unless we get our government spending under control we just might see those days again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy