Front Porch Stories is a place where I go to talk about things from current events to stories from my past. I hope you stop by and read a few.
Monday, September 27, 2010
Old Timey Remedies
Our neighbor brought over a wonderful banana pudding that his wife made. While he was here we got to talking about old time remedies that our folks used to use. I can remember some of the things mama used to use when we got chest colds. Depending on how sick we were it might be a spoon full of sugar with just enough kerosene to melt the sugar, or sometimes she would fry onions in lard and soak a flour sack in it and lay it on our chest. I can remember the warmth and the aroma of the onions and it calming the cough and being able to sleep. If you got stung by a bee it was a paste made of snuff. A stomach ache usually got castor oil!! I even use some of those remedies today. I have a hip that is giving me problems so I've started taking honey and cinnamon. May God Bless and watch over you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hunting Season....Use Caution
When I got up this morning there was a little chill in the air when I let the dog out. As I stood there I thought about all the cool mornin...
-
I gave it my best shot, but the powers that be know more about my needs and future than I. Therefore I am still working at the plant and do...
-
Making jelly is a time consuming process! You first have to pick your fruit, then prepare it depending on if you are making jelly or jam. ...
-
Every time I work out in the yard it make me think of my mom. She loved flowers and working outside. She taught us a lot about planting shr...
No comments:
Post a Comment