Quilting

Ouch!!! Mama laughed and said, "bet you were thinking a mean thought". You see with every stitch of a hand made quilt there is a thought, be it loving or not.  She was right the thought in my mind when I stuck myself was not on the nice side.  We both laughed and kept on sewing. She would tell me about how when she and daddy first got married they didn't have any quilts. She saved every little scrap, some so small she had to sew them onto newspaper just to make a square.  Most of the time we line quilted. Sometimes if we were using an older quilt for batting we would do what mama call tack it.  We would use larger needles and yarn and tack the corners of the squares.  She also made some beautiful appliqued quilts.  One of my favorite was Lady in a Bonnet.  She gave each one of her grandchildren a quilt when they graduated from high school.  She would let the grandkids help her to quilt.  I still have one my oldest son made stitches in when he was about three years old.  I think I will give him that quilt for his birthday,even though it's over 30 years old.  I think he would love to own that quilt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy