Front Porch Stories is a place where I go to talk about things from current events to stories from my past. I hope you stop by and read a few.
Monday, January 10, 2011
Winter Weather
Deborah Ann, you need to pick us up some toilet paper, milk and a loaf of bread on your way home. They are calling for up to 8 inches of snow. I've got us on a pot of pintos, and I already got corn bread and biscuits made. Oh, I almost forgot, get us a dozen eggs and we'll make a cake and some tea cakes just in case the power goes out. Even though she is no longer here physically, everyday I am in some way reminded of my mom. Any time they were calling for bad weather in the winter she would get us ready for the power to be out. We always kept kerosene for the lamps, candles and we had a wood heater and a wood cook stove. We always bought a load of firewood after Thanksgiving. Since we lived here in the south, the world stops with a snowflake. One the road where we lived when it started snowing you were just home. We had a walnut tree out close to the road and more than one car was wrenched out of the ditch using that tree. We sat at the kitchen table and watched the snow fall more than once. I sure do miss her!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and stay warm!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hunting Season....Use Caution
When I got up this morning there was a little chill in the air when I let the dog out. As I stood there I thought about all the cool mornin...
-
I gave it my best shot, but the powers that be know more about my needs and future than I. Therefore I am still working at the plant and do...
-
Making jelly is a time consuming process! You first have to pick your fruit, then prepare it depending on if you are making jelly or jam. ...
-
Every time I work out in the yard it make me think of my mom. She loved flowers and working outside. She taught us a lot about planting shr...
No comments:
Post a Comment