The Only Black Belt Woman

As I warmed up and looked around the Civic Center I did not see any other female Black Belts.  The folks who were putting on the event, came and told me that if I wanted to compete, that I could do so either with the men or the brown belt ladies.  I gave it some thought and decided it wouldn't be fair for me to compete with the brown belt ladies. I told them I would do forms and weapons with the men and I would skip sparring.  If you have ever been to one of these events you know that nothing starts until the men have competed in forms. When you compete you never want to go first, because they take the first three and set the standards for everyone else.  Very seldom do any of those three place in the finals.  As we were standing inline, I noticed that the line kept shifting until I was the first in line.  I just looked around and smiled.  My thoughts were, I may not win but I'll put on a good show.  I was given a standing ovation, and my male counterparts were a bit shocked that I did so well.  I got a bit of a laugh a little later, one of the guys who was about my size, walked up and ask what weight division I was going to spar in.  Those guys didn't realize what a prize they had given me that day.  They let me, a woman, start the event!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy