Snake In The Potatoe Sack

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and my brother and his wife had come over from Georgia for the weekend.  They would usually spend Saturday with his wife's family and Sunday with us.  As mamma was preparing lunch, she realized she didn't have enough potatoes.  She called for me to go to the barn and get a bowl of potatoes.  I was in the process of getting the potatoes out of the sack(bag) when I felt something cold go across my hand.  Being nine, I knew I couldn't go back to the house without the potatoes so I opened another sack and finished filling the bowl.

When I got back to the house mamma said, "Mercy child what's wrong with you!".  It seems all the color had faded from my face in fear of what was in the sack!  You see back then potatoes were kept in 50lb burlap sacks or bags whichever you choose to call them.  When I explained that something had crawled across my hand my dad and brother said, "come show us which sack".  When we got to the barn my brother first looked in the sack and didn't see anything, then daddy said dump it out.  Well there in the bottom of the sack was a corn snake about a foot long!  My brother promptly squished it with the heel of his boot!!!!  Then of course we had to pick up all those potatoes and put them back in the sack.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Is In The Air

Hunting Season....Use Caution

Can I Call The Crows Daddy